The Ph.D. Program in Nutrition and Food Science is designed to develop interdisciplinary education and research in the fields of food, nutrition, hospitality management, human ecology, science, health and medicine through the following methods:
- Integration of food, nutrition and hospitality management with human ecology and science
- Translation of basic medical research on aging-related diseases
- Research and development of safe and functional healthy food products through advanced technology
- Development of nutritional foods to help prevent and treat chronic diseases
- Promotion of the hospitality industry and education development
- Creating a quality of life on the basis of Truth, Goodness, Beauty, and Holiness
The research focus of the Ph.D. Program in Nutrition and Food Science includes interdisciplinary basic research in the fields of food and nutrition, such as genomics, proteomics, molecular cell biology, immunology, and biomedicine. In doing so, it aims to explore nutritional and health food products and their nanonization, bioavailability of microbial fermentation, and effectiveness in the prevention of chronic diseases (cancer/neurodegenerative diseases/kidney diseases, etc.) in the elderly, and develop nutritional and healthy food. In addition, we work together with the academic, government, and business sectors to translate the results of this basic scientific research into safe and effective nutritional foods for the public, and are also committed to translating the results into scientific evidence for clinical applications in order to develop effective diets to assist in health care, and expand social health care applications. On top of this, we are also dedicated to promoting research on the hospitality industry and education in order to assist national agencies in planning to solve issues related to food and agriculture, health and sanitation, nutrition, hospitality and leisure, and education policies. Through the integration of human ecology and technology, our program works to develop health care-related cultural, creative and management industries to create a quality of life that is true, good, beautiful and holy.
The main objective of the Ph.D. Program in Nutrition and Food Science is to train professionals in the interdisciplinary fields of food, nutrition, hospitality management, human ecology, health and science. By integrating the professional faculty of the Department of Food Science, Department of Nutritional Science, Department of Restaurant, Hotel and Institutional Management and the Graduate Institute of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Science into the College of Human Ecology, and through advanced courses and an interdisciplinary research environment, the program aims to build analytical skills, problem-solving skills, professional teaching skills, and innovative research skills in the interdisciplinary field of contemporary food, nutrition, hospitality, human ecology, medicine and health care, cultivating independent professional thinking and an innovative research spirit in the following ways:
- Training professional educators in the interdisciplinary field of food, nutrition, hospitality management, medicine and health science.
- Cultivating research and development professionals in the interdisciplinary field of food, nutrition, hospitality management, medicine and health science.
Preparing leaders in the academic, government, and business sector with an interdisciplinary background in the field of food, nutrition, hospitality management, medicine and health science.